Sunday, August 21, 2011

Groceries for the Week

So I did my shopping for the week early this morning. I go once each week to Costco and once to my local grocery store. I will soon be going to Walmart instead to see how the veggie freshness compares. Here's how I figure out what I need for my family of four:

Each week for breakfast I need:
  • 3 dozen eggs. This is enough for my husband to have 3-4 eggs each day, 1 for myself, and 1 that my kiddos share. If any of my lunch or dinner recipes call for eggs, I buy more. $2.59 for a cage-free dozen of Eggland's Best. I usually have a $.50 off of one coupon to help keep the price down.
  • 2 packages of bacon. In late Spring I purchased a whole pig for my family and we have been eating on that bacon. I will blog about the purchase and cost-benefit of it soon.
  • 1 bag of sausage. Sometimes we won't go through all this and I have more for next week. I really like Jones Dairy Farm if I am not eating sausage from the pig we bought.
  • 3-4 sweet potatoes for my husband if he has an intense workout that morning. Poke a potato with a fork a bunch of times, throw in the microwave for around 5 minutes or until soft. Good to go.



Each week for lunch I need:
  • 1 box of organic spring mix salad. My kids don't eat salad, but they like what goes on top. My one son loves olives.
  • 6 or so bell peppers
  • 1 3-pack of cucumbers from Costco
  • Red onion. Buy a big bag and save. They stay well in a cool, dark place for a pretty long time.  
  • Celery. Buy a big bag and save. This will keep for a couple weeks as well.
  • Tomatoes
  • Olive oil & Balsamic vinegar to top.
  • 3 or so lbs of chicken thighs. I grill these ahead of time to put on the salad or for my husband to eat whenever he is hungry. This costs around $7.00.
  • Cans of tuna. I buy a four pack for $2.80 and if that disappears by the next week, I just buy another.
  • 2 8oz packages of Ham lunch meat. Each package is $2.00

Miscellaneous:
  • Milk. My kids and husband go through about 3 gallons of milk each week. Trader Joe's, Target, and Wal-Mart are the cheapest places to purchase. Around $6.00 for a gallon of organic milk.
FOR DINNERS THIS WEEK:

  • 1 5lb chicken, Perdue Cage-Free $5.60
  • 2 packages of sirloin around 3lbs total $7.18
  • Mushrooms 1lb $2.19
  • Steamfresh Broccoli - $1.50
  • Steamfresh Brussels Sprouts - $1.50
  • Spaghetti Squash - Small one cost $3.16. I have spent around $5.00 after picking out a large one if I want leftovers.
  • 1 jar of spaghetti sauce. Bertolli Tomato/Basil $1.99 and I had a $.50 off of one coupon
  • Kale. $.99 for a bunch
  • Bok Choy $3.06 for a big bunch.
I didn't have a list so I forgot to buy:
Shrimp
Roast Veggies.. but I have carrots in the fridge already so I will probably just roast those with onion
Salmon

Things I already have on hand:
Broccoli leftover from last week
Lemon
Fish Sauce
Canned coconut milk from Trader Joe's
Ground lamb in the freezer
Ground beef in the freezer


Next week I will do a complete, fresh list shopping like I have nothing on hand to give you a better idea of how much a week costs.

    2 comments:

    1. I cant believe they go through that much milk in a week!! Are you still doing organic?

      ReplyDelete
    2. It was a lot of milk and it was super expensive, which is one of the reasons I decided to stop buying it. No one in the house drinks milk anymore. The boys just have water to drink and this has made them much better eaters!

      ReplyDelete