Monday, July 23, 2012

My new go-to "Paleo" cake recipe

Let me start this post by saying that if you are adding sweetener to anything, I really don't consider it "paleo." As I've read more and more about nutrition and spent time cooking paleo food, I've begun to think that things like coconut flour and almond meal aren't really paleo. In fact, I consider a bowl of fresh strawberries topped with freshly whipped heavy cream way more "paleo" than a grain/legume/dairy free cake, cookie or muffin.

That being said, I think there is a place for these  kinds of baked treats for families that just don't want to forgo baked goods at things like birthday parties.

So, for my son's fourth birthday party I decided to finally try baking a grain-free cake. My previous attempts at paleo treats were just ok. The best ones I've found come from Primal Palate's cookbook Make it Paleo. You can find a lot of the recipes that are in their book on their blog.. The pumpkin pie was great.

Anything I tried with coconut flour was extremely dense and required a nice cup of coffee or water to get it down. I had a ton of it in the pantry though, so I decided to give it one more try. I scoured the internet and finally found: THE BEST DAMN COCONUT FLOUR CAKE RECIPE EVER.

I made 12 cupcakes and made up a batch of frosting with whipped heavy cream (I was not impressed with my frosting and will do cream cheese instead next time). Rather than use regular food coloring, I went out the my local Whole Foods and spent way to much money on "all natural" dyes that were made from vegetable juice. I used India Tree food coloring.. if it was not super last-minute, I would probably not have purchased these since, I kid you not, they cost about $16.


I will probably never use a different coconut flour cake recipe I was so pleased with this one. Here's the cake (it's a dump truck, not a bus..):


No comments:

Post a Comment