Friday, August 26, 2011

Let's Go Shopping! : Walmart Edition Part 2

 Here were some other household staples I checked out:



Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil 14oz for $5.98. When you're buying coconut oil (or anything for that matter) you want to get the best quality you can find. My personal preference is for Nutiva, which I purchase on Amazon. I use Amazon's "Subscribe and Save" feature to save 15% and then I am signed up as a member of Amazon Mom - which gives me free Prime 2-day shipping. The best deal (in my opinion) currently on Amazon is this one. I have found Nutiva at Wegman's, but it is much cheaper to purchase on Amazon. Tropical Traditions is another great coconut brand - you may want to check them out! Sign up for their newsletter and receive info on weekly sales. Also, you can get even better discounts if you purchase a membership to their "buyer's club." But, if you are stuck buying in-store, this Spectrum coconut oil is the one I would suggest you buy.

The only other available coconut oil was this one: Lou Ana. While it says "all-natural," labels can be deceiving. Neither the website nor the jar itself states whether the oil has been bleached or processed in any other unhealthy way. I sure as hell don't want to eat bleach, so no-thank-you Lou Ana. If you'd like to read up more on the ways coconut oil can be refined check this out

" WHOLLY AWESOME" (quotes mine) Wholly Guacamole. $2.48 for 7oz. If you printed that awesome coupon or signed up for the Wholly Guacamole newsletter, you could score this for $.98. Can you say lettuce taco night? The 100-cal snack packs were priced a litte more expensive at $3.50. Sad day.
Here are some Lara Bars. Well, just one flavor at my Walmart. Peanut Butter... which the kids like, so cool. Technically we aren't supposed to be eating peanut butter, because peanuts are legumes and can be gut irritants. However, neither myself or my children have experienced any suffering as a result of eating them, so I let the little monsters eat the PB Lara Bars. $1.15 is good price for these things (if you are in the military, go to your commissary! they are priced around $.89 there). Every four months or so Coupons.com will have a Lara Bar coupon of $1.00 off of four that usually goes pretty fast :( Stay on top of it and you'll get one. OR make your own. I am planning a project one weekend to make my own and will blog about this!!

Other favorite flavors are: Apple Pie and... that's it. The Cherry Pie is way too tart for me, the Chocolate Chip Cookie tastes to me like alcohol chocolates (yuck), and the Cashew Cookie flavor doesn't do it for me.
AAAAND: Eggs. Before we get into this, you need to educate yourself as to what the "cage free" label means. These are not eggs produced by chickens wandering freely through open air like you might imagine. They are mostly in huge warehouses with cement floors, suffering the same de-beaking, the male chicks still being killed for their lack of potential to lay eggs, and the chickens still being fed soy. That being said, I fully understand that commercial production of eggs has its limitations. And I think the cage-free movement is a huge step in the right direction. However, if you want true free-roaming, soy-free eggs, you need to go to your local farmer, farmer's markets, or Whole Foods. I currently personally buy Eggland's Best Cage-Free eggs. When I find a farmer that can sell me inexpensive eggs, I'll make the switch. The one I buy meat from sells them for $5.00/dozen with only 1 drop-off in my area every month, so that is not a viable option for me. 
Walmart's Great-Value Cage-Free Eggs - $2.64/dozen



Farm House Cage-Free Eggs $2.24/dozen.






Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment