Thursday, August 25, 2011

Let's Go Shopping! : Walmart Edition Part 1

I'm always on the lookout for new and inexpensive places to purchase my staples like organic milk, grass-fed butter, eggs and the like. A few days ago I had fun running through my local Wal-Mart grocery store to see what they had to offer!
With milk, I find it is best to purchase in the gallons unless I have a coupon for the half-gallons of milk. For example: A half-gallon of milk costs $3.60 and a gallon costs $6.00. The equivalent in half-gallons would cost $7.20. My kids go through alot of milk! Probably 3 gallons for all the members of my family during the week. At one time we had our milk delivered from a grass-fed dairy farm and I will blog about that experience later. For the moment though, this is what we can afford so this is what we go with!


Above you can see the half-gallons of DHA added milk. Do your wallet a favor and don't buy this stuff. I try not to buy "DHA added" anything because you can't always rely on a good, cleanly produced source of DHA in whatever you are eating. I ran into this problem when selecting formula for my second son. We ended up with Baby's Only because the DHA in their formula was derived from a process using eggs rather than hexane and bleach. Read more about that here.  
I only purchase Whole milk for the kiddos regardless of their age. Fat is necessary for brain development and fat in the mouth does not equal fat on the body. At my store gallons were only available from the Horizon company for $6.55 a gallon. The same milk 1/4 mile down the road at Target sells for $6.00 even.
Wal-Mart does have their own "Great Value" brand of organic milk now, but was only available at my store in the low-fat half-gallons. These were pretty cheap! I'd be interested to see if they sell Great Value whole milk, but still the Horizon gallon is cheaper at Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment