Monday, April 30, 2012

What to eat when you can't chew - Paleo Style


Sad face because Justin was eating our pastured eggs.. and I was eating soup.

I know I said my next post would be about milk, but I need to get this one posted. Little known fact about me: I have all four of my wisdom teeth. I had enough room in my jaw and they came in without pushing the other teeth out of the way, great, awesome.. Now, that would be great if that was the whole story - but it's not. Every year or so I manage to give the tender insides of my mouth a good chomp where the wisdom teeth meet. It's accidental, it hurts, and usually my inability to chew solid food goes away within a day or so. Not this time.

Sometime Friday I bit down really hard and did some serious damage. I felt like I'd been smacked upside the head in a bar room brawl with my mouth open and shredded the left side of my mouth. Every time it felt a little better, I would manage to bit down wrong while I was talking to the kids or gingerly attempting to chew my food. Then the throbbing started in my gums and the intense pain spread. I've been taking a bunch of ibuprofen and called the dentist this morning. I hope she calls back soon.. I'm starting to get concerned about an infection or something..

Anyhoo, this morning I could not bring myself to try to chew again. Food has just become so unappetizing, but I do still feel hungry. And I really hate wasting food that I had already prepped for the week. So, I made myself some breakfast soup.

The crockpot had already been going overnight with some bone broth. Basically put bones into the crockpot, cover with filtered water, throw in a Tbsp or two of apple cider vinegar and let cook on low for.. a long time. This batch had been going about 19 hours and is still cooking.

3-4 ladles full of broth
1 hard boiled egg
1/2 Cup leftover cooked green cabbage
Salt to taste

Blend all  together and enjoy. This was actually pretty tasty in my opinion. Real bone broth can be very silky and leave you with a greasy feeling, but the cabbage and egg cut that nicely.




Does this look unappetizing to you? You might change your mind if it felt like you were chewing razor blades every time you ate.

Something else I might make for myself today is one of the smoothies I made for Justin a few months back:

1 cup coconut milk
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 banana
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2/3C dates
Garnish coconut flakes


*If you cannot chew, use a broth as your base and throw in already cooked ingredients. And blend. That's my recommendation. Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Ouch... hopefully if you have a dentist Appt while we're up I Can watch the kiddos for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think everything will be ok without seeing the doc. She hasn't called back yet and I have to leave for PT for Devin soon. If I don't talk or chew it seems to be ok, so maybe just a couple of days of that and everything will be good as new :)

      Delete
  2. That sounds ouchie! I hope you get to the dentist soon!!!

    ReplyDelete