Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Lazy (and Delicious) Paleo/Primal Pot Roast - Updated

D thought it was delicious because he is awesome/my son
When I am trying to "convert" someone to paleo or show them that delicious comfort food does not have to involve pasta, I have this one dish I like to make and shove in their faces. It is Sarah Fragoso's Pot Roast. The only problem with this recipe is it is kind of involved and wayyy too many steps for lazy me to do more often than like, twice a year. It is a crockpot recipe and when I think crockpot I think easy and fast prep work, slow cook time. This is easy, but not fast in the prep arena. SO I would just suck it up, make this delicious meal and make people drink the kool aid.

Awww kind of looks like a heart. YAY FOR MEAT!
Well, meal planning time happened this weekend and this particular dish popped into my head. AND I WANTED IT. But then a couple days later when it came time to actually follow my meal plan and make the dish - I basically stared at the crockpot for a minute and contemplated how to cut corners and make this much more lazy-person friendly. You're welcome lazy person. 


Lazy Pot Roast
3-5lbs of pork shoulder or pork butt roast.
        <Look for a little bit less fat or even trim the gigantic chunks if there are any. My eldest son has
         a texture issue with solid fat :*( I'm not even sure he's mine. jk jk jk>
2 Cups or so of baby carrots
      < I buy the gigantic bag at Costco.. they are easy to throw right into soup or put on a veggie
        platter>
4-5 Celery stalks, cut off nasty ends, break in half
1, 32oz Jar of Tomato pasta sauce.. I used Classico Tomato & Basil (no sugar, but does list "spices"
        as an ingredient)
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbsp salt (if desired.. I <3 salt)

* Throw all of the above into a crock pot, give it a stir and leave! I had it on the six hour setting and it was done just about then.

When done remove the roast and put on a plate to for chunks to be cut off at the dinner table. Skim out the solid and put into a blender or food processor. Add:

1/2 Stick Butter (I only had 1/4 stick so I put like a 1/4 cup heavy cream in there too)
*OMIT TO MAKE THIS WHOLE 30 COMPLIANT*

*Blend


Serve sauce over shredded pork. Serve with some steamed broccoli/kale/etc.

What's left after skimming. You could thin with chicken stock and add basil for a tomato basil soup!!
What you get after blending: The "Secret Sauce"


F*ing delicious


Alternate Version:

My sister-in-law Julie put her own spin on this and it's probably the fresher, better way to make this :) She didn't have a pork shoulder roast or a jar of tomato sauce, so here it is:

- Pork Loin
- Garlic salt
- 3 tomatoes
- Italian seasonings
- Celery & carrots as in the previous recipe

 She said she pureed the everything up a little too much so it wasn't chunky at all more like a soup... BUT it turned out great!! She and her boys loved it, so yum! Sounds like a great soupy version :)

No comments:

Post a Comment